Saturday 26 December 2020

6. వెనకేదో ముందరేదో (venakEdO muMdarEdO)

 

ANNAMACHARYA

6. వెనకేదో ముందరేదో

 

In this verse, ANNAMACHARYA is describing credulous actions of mankind. We all are engaged in preparation for tomorrow (or next life), with little knowledge of what it could be.

Central Idea is that we engage ourselves in various endeavours like education, earning money for living and pleasures. Man always lives on the crutches of hope(s) of better tomorrow. Annamacharya says that we don't understand the Devine Order, but trying to predict it in our own trifling ways. Therefore, these pursuits are meaningless. Each stanza is marvellous piece of gullible human plight.

 

|||| వెనకేదో ముందరేదోవెర్రి నేను నా

మనసు మరులు దేరమందేదొకో..!!

 

venakEdO muMdarEdO ve~r~ri nEnu nA-
manasu marulu dEra maMdEdokO
pallavi

Word by word meaning::

వెనకేదో (venakEdO) = the last one; ముందరేదో (muMdarEdO) = the next (birth); వెర్రి (ve~r~ri) = fool; నేను (nEnu) = me;  నా (nA) = my; మనసు (manasu) = my mind; మరులు.=love, passion, desire, lust; తేర=clear (of); మందేదొకో (maMdEdokO) = medicine available?

Literal Meaning: I know not before and hereafter. Yet my foolish mind goes after its passions. I wonder if there are medicines to cure me.

Implied meaning: I am a fool because I know not what the last is or the next moment/birth (however, I keep trying to predict it). Is there medicine to clear my mind of this teetering disposition?  

Comments: My foolish desires are preventing myself from comprehending the divine order of the things. Is there cure?

 

|| చేరి మీదటి జన్మము – సిరులకు నోమే గాని

యే రూపై పుట్టుదునో – యెరుగ నేను.

కోరి నిద్రించ బరచు – కొన నుద్యోగింతు గాని

సారె లేతునో లేవనో – జాడ తెలియ నేను.||వెనకేదో||

 

chEri mIdaTi janmamu sirulaku nOmE gAni
yE rUpai puTTudunO ye~raga nEnu
kOri nidriMcha barachu kona nudyOgiMtu gAni
sAre lEtunO lEvanO jADa deliya nEnu


Word by word meaning:

చేరి (chEri) =adjoining, the one drawing near; మీదటి (mIdaTi ) = next; జన్మము (janmamu ) =birth;  సిరులకు (sirulaku )=  riches, comforts; నోమే గాని (nOmE gAni ) = wishing (take a vow) but;  యే రూపై  (yE rUpai) = in what form; పుట్టుదునో (puTTudunO) = incarnation, shape; యెరుగ నేను (ye~raga nEnu) = I  know not; కోరి (kOri) = willingly నిద్రించ (nidriMcha) = sleep; బరచు = పరచు (barachu = parachu) = prepare bed; కొన నుద్యోగింతు =make arrangement, గాని= కాని (gAni = kAni )=but; సారె (sAre) = next time; లేతునో లేవనో (lEtunO lEvanO) = get up or not; జాడ (jADa) = trace; తెలియ నేను (deliya nEnu = teliya nEnu)=I know not.

Literal Meaning: I keep preparing for the next birth by keeping vrat / rites (నోము), expecting better comforts, but I know not what life form I would be. I keep preparing the bed to sleep, know not if would get up the next morning.

Implied meaning: I follow strict rites to get riches in next birth, yet I don't know what (life) form would I be. I prepare bed to sleep, yet not sure to get up. All the time, I am investing time for better Life with little knowledge of what the next moment could be. (Therefore, Oh God, correct my foolish deeds.)

Comments: This is what we do. We save money for future. We pray god for better future. We donate/ follow strict rites and expect better life in the next birth.  In the light of the above stanza, they remain unwarranted acts.

 

|| తెల్లవారి నప్పుడెల్లా – తెలిసితిననే గాని 

కల్లయేదో నిజమేదో – కాన నేను.

వల్లజూచి కామినుల – వలపించే గాని

మొల్లమై నా మేను – ముదిసిన దెరగా .||వెనకేదో||

 

tellavArinappuDellA telisitinanE gAni
kallayEdO nijamEdO kAna nEnu
valla chUchi kAminula valapiMchE gAni
mollamai nAmEnu mudisina deraMga
 

Word by word meaning:

తెల్లవారి నప్పుడెల్లా (tellavArinappuDellA) = when it dawns; తెలిసితిననే (telisitinanE) = came to know,  గాని (gAni) = but; కల్లయేదో (kallayEdO) = what's false; నిజమేదో (nijamEdO) = what's true; కాన నేను (kAna nEnu) =  know not; వల్లజూచి (valla chUchi) = finding opportunity; కామినుల (kAminula) = women; వలపించే (valapiMchE) = fascinated; గాని (gAni)=  but; మొల్లమై =thickening;  నా మేను (nAmEnu) = my body; ముదిసినది (mudisinadi)= ripe age; ఎరగా (eraga)= do not cognize. 

Literal Meaning: Upon dawn, I cognise it, yet know not truth from false. Finding opportunity, I keep engaging with ladies yet unaware of my ripening age. 

Implied meaning: I wasted all my life in running after the desires but I realise this only after the incidence, like I know its dawn after seeing the light. (I continue stupidity through my foolish actions). Therefore, I am unable to recognise illusion from the truth.

Commentary: this stanza is with lots of twists. I know not dawn before it happens is used to indicate we are not sensitive enough to recognise forewarnings. The word   తెలివి తెల్లవారు (telivi tellavAru) means a foolish person. Annamacharya is indicating that we remain Sheepish. We don’t understand path of intelligence; therefore, we don’t recognise the wastage of time. When realised, it is too late.

 

 ||  పాపాలు సేసి మరచి – బ్రతుకుచున్నాడ గాని 

వైపుగ చిత్రగుప్తుడు – వ్రాయుటెరగ,

యేపున శ్రీవెంకటేశు – నెక్కడో వెతకే గాని 

నాపాలి దైవమని –నన్ను గాచుటెరగా.||వెనకేదో||

 

pApAlu chEsi ma~rachi bradukuchunnADa gAni
vaipuga chiitraguptuDu vrAyu Te~raga
yEpuna SrIvEMkaTESu nekkaDO vetakE gAni
nApAli daivamani nannu gAchu Te~raga
 

Word by word meaning:

పాపాలు (pApAlu) = sins; సేసి = చేసి (chEsi) = commit; మరచి (ma~rachi) = forget, think no more of it; బ్రతుకుచున్నాడ (bradukuchunnADa) = existing; గాని (gAni)= but; వైపుగ (vaipuga) = pointedly; చిత్రగుప్తుడు (chiitraguptuDu) = divine scribbler  known as CHITRAGUPTA ( he keeps our complete records of all beings); వ్రాయుట (vrAyuTa)= writing on the scroll (of hell); ఎరగ (eraga) = unaware;  ఏపున (yEpuna) = in pain;  శ్రీవెంకటేశుని = God ( lor of seven hills); ఎక్కడో (ekkaDO)= where?; వెతకే (vetakE) = search; కాని (gAni) = but; నాపాలి (nApAli) = my;  దైవమని= దైవము అని (daivamani) = that God –నన్ను (nannu) = me; గాచుటెరగా= కాచుట+ఎరగా (gAchu Te~raga) = unaware of saving. 

Literal Meaning: I sin and think no more of it. I don’t know that chiitragupta is pointedly recording. I keep searching for lord Venkateswara here and there. Yet know not that he is saving me (every) time. 

Implied meaning: I forgive my shortcomings readily, yet don't want to account for my deeds. I keep searching while I need help, unaware that GOD is always there (for me). 

Commentary: This is exactly the normal stand taken by all of us in our daily existence. That is what Annamacharya depicted in his inimitable style.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent explanation.wonderful

    ReplyDelete

  2. భూతభవిష్యత్తులు తెలియని, మరుక్షణం యేమగునో ఎఱుకలేని అజ్ఞానపు మనసు మరుజన్మలోని సుఖాల కోసం వ్రతాలు చేయ సంకల్పిస్తుంది.ఏది భ్రమయో, ఏది సత్యమో గ్రహించలేక, ఎన్నో పాపకర్మలు చేసి విలువైన సమయాన్ని వృధా చేసిన అజ్ఞానిని.
    చేసిన ఆపరాధములకు పశ్చాత్తాపంతో దైవాన్ని అన్వేషిస్తున్న నాకు సతతము రక్షించునది ఆ దైవమేయన్న విషయం కూడా తెలియని మూర్ఖుడినని వాపోవుచున్న
    సగటు మనిషి యొక్క దుస్థితిని అన్నమయ్య తన యీ కీర్తన ద్వారా ప్రపంచానికి చాటుచున్నాడు.
    హరిః ఓమ్ 🙏
    కృష్ణమోహన్

    ReplyDelete

T-202. నన్ను నింతగా గడించి నాయమా దిగవిడువ

  అన్నమాచార్యులు T 202. నన్ను నింతగా గడించి నాయమా దిగవిడువ   కీర్తన సంగ్రహ భావము : పల్లవి : నేను ఇంత కాలము ఆ సొమ్ములు , ఈ బాంధవ్యాలు ...