Saturday 22 October 2022

146 iTTi nA ve~r~ritanamu lEmani cheppukoMdunu (ఇట్టి నా వెఱ్ఱితనము లేమని చెప్పుకొందును)

 ANNAMACHARYULU

146 ఇట్టి నా వెఱ్ఱితనము లేమని చెప్పుకొందును

(iTTi nA ve~r~ritanamu lEmani cheppukoMdunu)

 

for Telegu (తెలుగు) Version press here

 

Synopsis:  Who is the doer? What is doer-ship? Multilevel reflections confound us.

Summary of this Poem:

Chorus: O God! What face do I have to rant my madness. You may laugh at me. But you must take a compassionate view (on me). Implied Meaning: I am mad. But really don’t know what else I can be. Unless you show mercy, I shall remain mad. 

Stanza 1: You stay put inside me and make me to speak. Unaware, I take pride in my ability to talk. While charmingly and gracefully you rule the world, I try to display the upper hand as the controller.

Stanza 2: While you are the creator, I take the pride being the father of my children. On your approbation we received this life. I take it as fruits of my labour. Implied Meaning: My present doer-ship is baseless. I find the actor and the action are inseparable. ‘I’ exists in post thought activities.

Stanza 3: I am aware of the duality you established to trap us in delusion. Foolishly I ascribe this awareness to my penance. O! High Lord! Consider my unanimity with The One Inside (paramatma) and ignore my selfish impulses.

 

 

 

Detailed Presentation

Introduction: Annamacharya never wrote a single poem. These words, we consider as poems, flown out naturally in those ecstatic moments of meditation. The balance of life is not a practiced balance of circus feet, but the extraordinary understanding of what life is.   This is the single poem, which presents deeper meaning of that balance the wise exercise. Outward meanings of these words are banal, but inward meanings are astonishing.

 

It boils down to who is the doer? What is doer-ship? Multilevel reflections which confound us need to be sorted with patience. I am sure my commentary does not match the depth of this poem. 

 

కీర్తన:

రాగిరేకు:  163-5  సంపుటము: 2-304 

POEM

Copper Leaf:  163-5  Volume: 2-304

ఇట్టి నా వెఱ్ఱితనము లేమని చెప్పుకొందును
నెట్టన నిందుకు నగి నీవే దయఁ జూడవే ॥పల్లవి॥
 
పాటించి నాలో నుండి పలికింతువు నీవు
మాటలాడ నేరుతునంటా మరి నే నహంకరింతును
నీటున లోకములెల్లా నీవే యేలుచుండఁగాను
గాఁటాన దొరనంటా గర్వింతు నేను ॥ఇట్టి॥
 
నెమ్మదిఁ బ్రజలనెల్లా నీవే పుట్టించఁగాను
కమ్మి నేనే బిడ్డలఁ గంటినంటా సంతసింతును
సమ్మతి నీవే సర్వసంపదలు నొసఁగఁగాను
యిమ్ముల గడించుకొంటి నివి నేనంటా నెంతు ॥ఇట్టి॥
 
మన్నించి యిహపరాలు మరి నీవే యియ్యఁగాను
యెన్నుకొందు నాతపోమహిమ యిది యనుచును
వున్నతి శ్రీవేంకటేశ నన్ను నేమి చూచేవు
అన్నిటా నాయాచార్యు విన్నపమే వినవే ॥ఇట్టి॥ 
iTTi nA ve~r~ritanamu lEmani cheppukoMdunu
neTTana niMduku nagi nIvE daya jUDavE pallavi
 
pATiMchi nAlO nuMDi palikiMtuvu nIvu
mATalADa nErutunaMTA mari nE nahaMkariMtunu
nITuna lOkamulellA nIvE yEluchuMDagAnu
gATAna doranaMTA garviMtu nEnu iTTi
 
nemmadi brajalanellA nIvE puTTiMchagAnu
kammi nEnE biDDala gaMTinaMTA saMtasiMtunu
sammati nIvE sarvasaMpadalu nosagagAnu
yimmula gaDiMchukoMTi nivi nEnaMTA neMtu iTTi
 
manniMchi yihaparAlu mari nIvE yiyyagAnu
yennukoMdu nAtapOmahima yidi yanuchunu
vunnati SrIvEMkaTESa nannu nEmi chUchEvu
anniTA nAyAchAryu vinnapamE vinavE iTTi

 

 

 

 








Details and Explanations: 

ఇట్టి నా వెఱ్ఱితనము లేమని చెప్పుకొందును
నెట్టన నిందుకు నగి నీవే దయఁ జూడవే          ॥పల్లవి॥
 
iTTi nA ve~r~ritanamu lEmani cheppukoMdunu
neTTana niMduku nagi nIvE daya jUDavE pallavi

 

Word to word meaning: ఇట్టి (iTTi) = these; నా (nA) = my; వెఱ్ఱితనము (ve~r~ritanamu) = extreme follies or foolishness; లేమని (lEmani) = What? చెప్పుకొందును (cheppukoMdunu) = shall I submit, Shall I explain; నెట్టన (neTTana) = అనివార్యముగ, తక్షణమే, compulsorily, immediately; నిందుకు (niMduku) = for this;  నగి (nagi) = (you may) laugh (but); నీవే (nIvE) = you; దయఁ జూడవే (daya jUDavE) = take a compassionate view.  

 

Literal meaning: O God! What face do I have to rant my madness. You may laugh at me. But you must take a compassionate view (on me).

Explanation: This chorus on the first look may appear wretched submission. No, its not. Let me explain starting by the statement from Bhagavad-Gita. दैवी ह्येषा गुणमयी मम माया दुरत्यया (7-14)  daivī hyehā gua-mayī mama māyā duratyayā Purport: Krishna said: My divine energy Maya, consisting of the three modes of nature, is very difficult to overcome.

Proud of our petty temporal achievements and posse of knowledge tools, we imagine that some-how we can circumvent illusion. We underestimate the statements of the great souls. When they say this world is your own reflection (or reflect on what you were doing), little do we realise that they are making a profound statement of inner reflection. I shall make this make this clear by a picture of Rene Magritte titled “Not to Be Reproduced (La reproduction interdite, 1937) given below.



On examination, you will find that you are the observer trying to identify the man standing before the mirror. However, the reflection in the above picture is nothing but the picture he is already seeing. Without that deep perception, when we say this world is a reflection of the self is mere rhetoric.

The path to truth is something like that picture, when you try to observe, you only find what you know already. Now consider the following poem titled “EMPTINESS” by Rumi.

We look back and analyse the events
of our lives, but there is another way
of seeing, a backward-and-forward-at-once
vision, that is not rationally understandable.

The other side cannot be known#1. However, we feel we can somehow scale to the other side… Is it not madness? When Annamacharya says ‘he is mad’ indicates thoughtful and honest statement. Sir/Madam, knowing and recognizing own foolishness is the greatest achievement. Denying foolishness is denying the truth. A fallacy. 

Implied Meaning: I am mad. But really don’t know what else I can be. Unless you show mercy, I shall remain mad. 

పాటించి నాలో నుండి పలికింతువు నీవు
మాటలాడ నేరుతునంటా మరి నే నహంకరింతును
నీటున లోకములెల్లా నీవే యేలుచుండఁగాను
గాఁటాన దొరనంటా గర్వింతు నేను        ॥ఇట్టి॥
 
pATiMchi nAlO nuMDi palikiMtuvu nIvu
mATalADa nErutunaMTA mari nE nahaMkariMtunu
nITuna lOkamulellA nIvE yEluchuMDagAnu
gATAna doranaMTA garviMtu nEnu iTTi 

Word to word meaning: పాటించి (pATiMchi) = taking interest, to make things easy, make happen; నాలో (nAlO) = inside me; నుండి (nuMDi) = stay put, పలికింతువు (palikiMtuvu) = make me speak; నీవు (nIvu) = you; మాటలాడ (mATalADa) = to speak, to talk; నేరుతునంటా (nErutunaMTA) = claim to know; మరి (mari) = more, further; నే (nE) = I; నహంకరింతును (nahaMkariMtunu) = take pride, become arrogant; నీటున (nITuna) = finely, charmingly;  లోకములెల్లా (lOkamulellA) = All the worlds; నీవే (nIvE) you (are); యేలుచుండఁగాను (yEluchuMDagAnu) = while you are the ruler / controller; గాఁటాన (gATAna) = much, excessively, thickly, దొరనంటా (doranaMTA) = claim power, feign high position, right to feel great; గర్వింతు (garviMtu) =exhibit to be proud, display upper hand (in a game); నేను (nEnu) = me. 

Literal meaning: You stay put inside me and make me to speak. Unaware, I take pride in my ability to talk. While charmingly and gracefully you rule the world, I try to display the upper hand as the controller.

Explanation: Annamacharya is not expressing hackneyed expressions of our culture. He is simply stating the deep understanding which we often dismiss with disdain.  Now compare this stanza with the two different poems of Jalaluddin Rumi. 

WHO SAYS WORDS WITH MY MOUTH?

but who is it now in my ear who hears my voice?
Who says words with my mouth?
Who looks out with my eyes? What is the soul?
I cannot stop asking
.

A THIRSTY FISH
I have a thirsty fish in me
that can never find enough
of what it's thirsty for!
The grief-armies assemble,
but I'm not going with them.
 
This is how it always is
when I finish a poem.
 
A great silence overcomes me,
and I wonder why I ever thought to use language. 

Emptiness or vanity of our minds is not born of greatness, but of false assumptions…the grief armies referred by Rumi are the part of this ignorance. Not following the ignorance is intelligence. If we ever know that we are proud of this or that, at the germination of such thoughts, we have solved the problem of existence. Thoughts are the chatter boxes. And silence is the intelligence. Unfortunately, most often, we realise that after we become proud even temporarily for few seconds.

I really cannot write how deep is Annamacharya or Rumi are… 

నెమ్మదిఁ బ్రజలనెల్లా నీవే పుట్టించఁగాను
కమ్మి నేనే బిడ్డలఁ గంటినంటా సంతసింతును
సమ్మతి నీవే సర్వసంపదలు నొసఁగఁగాను
యిమ్ముల గడించుకొంటి నివి నేనంటా నెంతు           ॥ఇట్టి॥
 
nemmadi brajalanellA nIvE puTTiMchagAnu
kammi nEnE biDDala gaMTinaMTA saMtasiMtunu
sammati nIvE sarvasaMpadalu nosagagAnu
yimmula gaDiMchukoMTi nivi nEnaMTA neMtu iTTi

 

Word to word meaning: నెమ్మదిఁ (nemmadi) = to indicate rightly and appropriately; బ్రజలనెల్లా (brajalanellA) = all the beings; నీవే (nIvE) = you alone; పుట్టించఁగాను (puTTiMchagAnu) = to create, to give form;  కమ్మి (kammi) = as if I am the creator; నేనే (nEnE) = my self (with the sense of conceit); బిడ్డలఁ (biDDala) = children; గంటినంటా (gaMTinaMTA) = I am the cause; సంతసింతును (saMtasiMtunu) = become happy; సమ్మతి (sammati) = consent, approbation; నీవే (nIvE) = you;  సర్వసంపదలు (sarvasaMpadalu) = all the wealth ( here used in the sense of ability to recognise as he is alive); నొసఁగఁగాను (nosagagAnu) = conferred; యిమ్ముల (yimmula) = quantum, considerable;  గడించుకొంటి (gaDiMchukoMTi) = acquire or earn by self; నివి (nivi) = these; నేనంటా (nEnaMTA)  = I am the cause; నెంతు (neMtu) = claim, imagine;  

Literal meaning: While you are the creator#2, I take the pride being the father of my children. On your approbation we received this life. I take it as fruits of my labour.

Explanation: I would like the readers to contemplate here the inner meaning of the Bhagavad Gita verse श्रुतिविप्रतिपन्ना ते यदा स्थास्यति निश्चला | समाधावचला बुद्धिस्तदा योगमवाप्स्यसि || 2-53|| śhruti-vipratipannā te yadā sthāsyati niśhchalā / samādhāv-achalā buddhis tadā yogam avāpsyasi Purport: When your mind, despite being disturbed by various noises, is directed towards the Supreme, then you can achieve self-realization. Here noise is used in the sense of a disturbing force. All the information received through the sense organs is disturbing, because it is not the entire truth.

Ideas formed on the basis of these partial truths can be more deleterious. Therefore, they may be termed as pollution. Therefore, to understand truth, the present ideas must be dismantled. Request readers to review this stanza in that light.

Implied Meaning: My present doer-ship is baseless. I find the actor and the action are inseparable. ‘I’ exists in post thought activities.

మన్నించి యిహపరాలు మరి నీవే యియ్యఁగాను
యెన్నుకొందు నాతపోమహిమ యిది యనుచును
వున్నతి శ్రీవేంకటేశ నన్ను నేమి చూచేవు
అన్నిటా నాయాచార్యు విన్నపమే వినవే          ॥ఇట్టి॥
 
manniMchi yihaparAlu mari nIvE yiyyagAnu
yennukoMdu nAtapOmahima yidi yanuchunu
vunnati SrIvEMkaTESa nannu nEmi chUchEvu
anniTA nAyAchAryu vinnapamE vinavE         iTTi 

Word to word meaning: మన్నించి (manniMchi) = condescending; యిహపరాలు (yihaparAlu) = this world and the other; మరి (mari) = more, further; నీవే (nIvE) = you alone; యియ్యఁగాను (yiyyagAnu) = given, arranged; యెన్నుకొందు (yennukoMdu) = I count it as; నాతపోమహిమ (nAtapOmahima) = the effect of my penance;  యిది (yidi) = this one; యనుచును (yanuchunu) = assuming; వున్నతి (vunnati) = high; శ్రీవేంకటేశ (SrIvEMkaTESa) = Lord Venkateswara; నన్ను (nannu) = me (particularly my egotistic part);  నేమి చూచేవు (nEmi chUchEvu) = why consider (implying “kindly neglect”) అన్నిటా (anniTA) = in everything; నాయాచార్యు (nAyAchAryu) = the teacher (used in the sense of “the one making me to act”);  విన్నపమే (vinnapamE) = submission; వినవే (vinavE) = provide a helping ear (used in the sense of “consider”)  

Literal meaning: I am aware of the duality you established to trap us in delusion. Foolishly I ascribe this awareness to my penance. O! High Lord! Consider my unanimity with The One Inside (paramatma) and ignore my selfish impulses.

Explanation: The greatest ability is eschewing ownership of actions. In such situations doer-ship transforms to observation and awareness. The awareness we often use is a pretence.  

Suggest you have a re-look at Rene Magritte’s picture.

 

References and Recommendations for further reading:

#1 96. ఎదుట నెవ్వరు లేరు యింతా విష్ణుమయమే (eduTanevvaru lEru yiMtA vishNumayamE)

 

#2 128 ఇన్నిచేఁతలును దేవుఁడిచ్చినవే (innichEtalunu dEvuDichchinavE)

 

2 comments:

  1. పంచజ్ఞానేంద్రియములు - త్వక్, చక్షు, శ్రోత్ర, ఘ్రాణ, రసములనే ఐదు ఇంద్రియాలు జ్ఞానాన్ని అందించే ఉపకరణాలు మాత్రమే.కాని స్పర్శించే శక్తి, చూచేశక్తి, వినికిడి శక్తి, ఘ్రాణశక్తి, రుచి శక్తినిచ్చేవి తన్మాత్రలు. తన్మాత్రలనే శక్తులు లేకపోతే జ్ఞానేంద్రియముల వలన యేమీ ప్రయోజనం లేదు. వినలేని చెవులు, చూడలేని కన్నులు, వాసన చూడలేని ముక్కు, స్పర్శలేని చర్మము, రుచి చూడలేని నాలుక వ్యర్థములే కదా.

    పరమాత్మను ఆశ్రయించి మాయ ఉన్నది. పరమాత్మ పురుషుడైతే మాయ స్త్రీ. ఈ మాయ త్రిగుణాత్మకమైనది. అంటే సత్వరజస్తమో గుణములతో ఏర్పడింది.పంచతన్మాత్రలు పంచ భూతముల నుండే వచ్చాయి.
    ఆకాశ,వాయు,అగ్ని,జల,
    పృథివీ తన్మాత్రల యొక్క సాత్వికగుణం వల్ల వినేశక్తి, స్పర్శించే శక్తి, చూచే శక్తి, రుచి, వాసనల శక్తి జ్ఞానేంద్రియాలకు వచ్చాయి.

    త్రిగుణాత్మకమైన యీ మాయ పరమాత్మ సృష్టి. పైన వివరించబడిన తన్మాత్రల శక్తి పరమాత్మ ఆధీనంలోనిదే.
    పలికెడిది భాగవతమట
    పలికించెడువాడు రామభద్రుండట..
    అన్నాడు పోతన మహర్షి.
    మనలో పరమాత్మ యొక్క అంశ ఉండటం వల్లనే, తన్మాత్రలశక్తి చేత మనము మాట్లాడగలుగు చున్నాము, అట్లే ఘ్రాణశక్తి, రసశక్తి, స్పర్శశక్తి, దృశ్యశక్తి, వినికిడి శక్తి కూడా పరమాత్మ అనుగ్రహమే. నేను మాట్లాడుచున్నాను, చూస్తున్నాను, వింటున్నాను, రుచి చూస్తున్నాను, స్పృసిస్తున్నాను అనునవి పరమాత్మ మాయాకల్పితమైన *అహం* అనే తత్త్వం వల్లనే కలుగుతున్నవి. మాయచే ఆవరించబడిన మనిషి ఈవిధంగా అంతా తానే చేస్తున్నాననే భ్రమలో ఉంటున్నాడు.

    అలాగే కర్మేంద్రియములు ఐదు.
    నోరు,చేతులు,కాళ్ళు జననాంగములు, గుదము అనేవి కూడా రజోగుణం చేత మాయ వలన ఏర్పడినవి. సంతానోత్పత్తికి వలయు జననాంగములు పరమాత్మ యొక్క సృష్టియే. ప్రజననము (సంతానము)
    నిచ్చునది పరమాత్మ యొక్క శక్తియే. కాని అహం వలన నేనే బిడ్డలను కన్నాను అని అంటాడు మాయామోహితమైన మానవుడు.

    పరమాత్మ లోకానికి ప్రభువు, సర్వాధికారి, సర్వశక్తిమంతుడు. సంపదల నిచ్చునది భగవంతుడే. అజ్ఞానవశమున అహంభావంచే దీనిని నేను సంపాదించాను, ఇది నా సొత్తు అంటాడు మూర్ఖ మానవుడు.

    ఇదంతా నా వెఱ్రితనమే, నా మూర్ఖత్వమే కాని మరొకటి కాదు. నా మీద దయ చూపి వేగమె నన్ననుగ్రహించుమో పరమాత్మా యని
    అన్నమయ్య ఈ కీర్తనలో జీవుని అజ్ఞానమును, పరమాత్మ యొక్క మహితశక్తిని నిరూపించుచున్నాడు.

    ఓం తత్ సత్ 🙏🏻
    కృష్ణ మోహన్

    ReplyDelete

T-202. నన్ను నింతగా గడించి నాయమా దిగవిడువ

  అన్నమాచార్యులు T 202. నన్ను నింతగా గడించి నాయమా దిగవిడువ   కీర్తన సంగ్రహ భావము : పల్లవి : నేను ఇంత కాలము ఆ సొమ్ములు , ఈ బాంధవ్యాలు ...