Saturday, 12 September 2026

6R venakēdō muṃdarēdō verri nēnu (వెనకేదో ముందరేదో వెఱ్ఱి నేను)

6R వెనకేదో ముందరేదో వెఱ్ఱి నేను
(venakēdō mudarēdō verri nēnu)

INTRODUCTION 
This poem appears very simple. Yet, in its fourteen lines, Annamacharya quietly shows how a person does not live directly in reality. We build an understanding from what we know, turn that understanding into a “truth,” and then use it to guide the next step. He never simply declares, “We do not know ourselves.” He shows us how we live.

We know what has already happened. We may even imagine what could happen in the next few moments. From there, a sense of certainty begins to form. We use it to take one step, then the next. From what we know, we construct a “truth” about what we do not know, and make that our guide in life.

The poet keeps testing this process as he moves forward. He does not know what another birth will be like. He does not know what tomorrow will bring. He does not even know whether he will wake after sleep. Yet he keeps preparing for the future as though he knows it. As long as he keeps checking himself within the understanding he has already built, he sees no problem.

Then the visible world becomes another basis for his understanding. He sees something, is attracted to it, and becomes absorbed in it. There seems to be nothing wrong with it. Meanwhile, time passes. He watches what is happening outside, but fails to notice what is happening within himself.

Then comes another attempt to escape: పాపాలు చేసి మఱచి బ్రదుకుచున్నాఁడఁ గాని (I commit sins, forget them, and carry on with life). But immediately Annamacharya removes that support: వైపుగఁ జిత్రగుప్తుడు వ్రాయు టెఱఁగ (He may forget what he has done, but he does not know that it is being carefully recorded). His not knowing becomes part of his ignorance. Once again, he has given himself an excuse.

Here the question in the pallavi returns: నా-మనసు మరులు దేర మందేదొకో (Is there any remedy?) Until now, he has lived within the “truths” he has constructed. Now the question is no longer about those truths. Could the delusion lie in the very way his mind sees? And if so, he does not know what the remedy is.

That is where the search begins. యేపున శ్రీవేంకటేశు నెక్కడో వెతకేఁ గాని (I keep searching for saviour Sri Venkatesa) This is not simply a search for something visible. It is the yogi's search for the Avyakta (unmanifest). But the Avyakta cannot be found as an object. So the search continues.

And finally, Annamacharya does not say: “Now I understand.” He arrives at something much more subtle: Before — I did not even know that I did not know. Now — I know that I do not know. That is the extraordinary movement of this kirtana.

Delusion → Constructed understanding → Reliance on the future → Reliance on what is visible → Attraction → Losing oneself → Sin → Self-exemption → Search → The Avyakta → Knowing that “I do not know.”

In fourteen simple lines, Annamacharya does not merely describe a person's journey. He captures the human condition. 
అధ్యాత్మ​ సంకీర్తన
రాగి రేకు: 103-4  సంపుటము - సంకీర్తన: 2-16
వెనకేదో ముందరేదో వెఱ్ఱి నేను నా-
మనసు మరులు దేర మందేదొకో        ॥పల్లవి॥

చేరి మీఁదటిజన్మము సిరులకు నోమేఁ గాని
యే రూపై పుట్టుదునో యెఱఁగ నేను
కోరి నిద్రించఁ బరచుకొన నుద్యోగింతుఁ గాని
సారె లేతునో లేవనో జాడ దెలియ నేను            ॥వెన॥

తెల్లవారినప్పుడెల్లా తెలిసితిననేఁ గాని
కల్లయేదో నిజమేదో కాన నేను
వల్ల చూచి కామినుల వలపించేఁ గాని
మొల్లమై నామేను ముదిసిన దెరఁగ    ॥వెన॥

పాపాలు చేసి మఱచి బ్రదుకుచున్నాఁడఁ గాని
వైపుగఁ జిత్రగుప్తుడు వ్రాయు టెఱఁగ
యేపున శ్రీవేంకటేశు నెక్కడో వెతకేఁ గాని
నాపాలిదైవమని నన్నుఁ గాచు టెఱఁగ              ॥వెన॥
Philosophical POEM
Copper Plate: 103-4     Volume: 2-16
venakēdō mudarēdō ve\r\ri nēnu nā-
manasu marulu dēra madēdokō    pallavi

cēri mīṃ̐daijanmamu sirulaku nōmēṃ̐ gāni
yē rūpai puṭṭudunō ye\raṃ̐ga nēnu
kōri nidricaṃ̐ baracukona nudyōgituṃ̐ gāni
sāre lētunō lēvanō jāḍa deliya nēnu  vena

tellavārinappuellā telisitinanēṃ̐ gāni
kallayēdō nijamēdō kāna nēnu
valla cūci kāminula valapicēṃ̐ gāni
mollamai nāmēnu mudisina deraṃ̐ga             vena

pāpālu cēsi ma\raci bradukucunnāṃ̐ḍaṃ̐ gāni
vaipugaṃ̐ jitraguptuu vrāyu e\raṃ̐ga
yēpuna śrīvēṃkaṭēśu nekkaḍō vetakēṃ̐ gāni
nāpālidaivamani nannuṃ̐ gācu e\raṃ̐ga        vena
Details and Discussions:
Chorus (Pallavi):
వెనకేదో ముందరేదో వెఱ్ఱి నేను నా-
మనసు మరులు దేర మందేదొకో ॥పల్లవి॥
venakēdō muṃdarēdō ve\r\ri nēnu nā-
manasu marulu dēra maṃdēdokō pallavi 
Sense of the Poem:  
Poem Line
Plain Meaning
Deeper Meaning
వెనకేదో ముందరేదో
I do not know “where I have come from” or “where I am going”.
In this endless unfolding of life, I do not know what lies behind or what lies ahead. I do not know the order in which this life is disclosing.
వెఱ్ఱి నేను
(వెఱ్ఱి నేను = I am foolish)
I cannot understand it.
I live by my own assumptions — as though I know what is ahead, even though I do not fully comprehend that order.
నా-మనసు మరులు దేర
(మరులు దేర = to come out of passion)
My mind must come out of this delusion.
My mind must come out of the delusion created by “what I see” and ”what I think I know”.
మందేదొకో
(మందు = medicine, మందేదొకో = is there medicine?)
I do not know what the remedy is.
I do not know what is the way out of this.
Deeper Note:
 
వెనకేదో ముందరేదో: వెనక does not mean only the distant past. Even the moment that has just passed is already behind us. It is something we know, but it is over. While we keep thinking about it, we move away from the moment that is happening now.

ముందర too does not mean only the distant future. Even the next moment is ahead of us. It has not yet happened, yet the mind imagines beforehand what it will be like.

Therefore, వెనకేదో ముందరేదో వెఱ్ఱి నేను: is not merely about not knowing the past and the future. I cannot hold on to what has just passed; I cannot know beforehand what has not yet come. Yet the mind lives by trying to hold on to one of them. Yet I run my life on the basis of both. The folly here is to become certain about what I do not know. Now we see why poet says వెఱ్ఱి నేను” (foolish me)

నా-మనసు మరులు దేర: This is why మరులు means delusion. The delusion lies precisely in the feeling: “I know what is behind and what is ahead.” My mind must come out of that delusion that I must know.

మందేదొకో: But I do not even know what the remedy is. Annamacharya does not prescribe some remedy for us here. He leaves us with a more difficult question: “If the mind itself is in delusion, how can it be certain that the remedy it chooses for itself is the right one?”

First Stanza:
చేరి మీఁదటిజన్మము సిరులకు నోమేఁ గాని
యే రూపై పుట్టుదునో యెఱఁగ నేను
కోరి నిద్రించఁ బరచుకొన నుద్యోగింతుఁ గాని
సారె లేతునో లేవనో జాడ దెలియ నేను ॥వెన॥

cēri mīṃ̐daṭijanmamu sirulaku nōmēṃ̐ gāni
yē rūpai puṭṭudunō ye\raṃ̐ga nēnu
kōri nidriṃcaṃ̐ baracukona nudyōgiṃtuṃ̐ gāni
sāre lētunō lēvanō jāḍa deliya nēnu    vena 
Literal Sense:
Poem Line
Plain Meaning
Deeper Meaning
చేరి మీఁదటిజన్మము సిరులకు నోమేఁ గాని
I make efforts now for prosperity and comfort in my next birth.
One thing is that “we prepare for what lies ahead, even though we do not know what that life will be”. Beyond that, notice how our attention is always on the future.
యే రూపై పుట్టుదునో యెఱఁగ నేను
I do not know in what form I will be born.
I do not even know what that life will be like. If I don't know, what is the basis for my preparation? How can one prepare for what one does not understand?
కోరి నిద్రించఁ బరచుకొన నుద్యోగింతుఁ గాని
I make preparations before going to sleep.
The poet brings the same tendency closer. We prepare even for the difficult final stages of life, as though we know what lies ahead.
సారె లేతునో లేవనో జాడ దెలియ నేను
I have no idea whether I will wake again.
The scale has now come down to the next moment. I do not even know whether I will wake. Yet, foolishly, I extend the present toward what comes next.
Deeper Notes:

Look at just one moment as it happens. Our attention seems to travel everywhere except to the moment actually happening.

The poet begins with the distant future చేరి మీఁదటిజన్మము సిరులకు నోమేఁ గాని another birth—and gradually brings it right up to the next waking. We prepare for another life without knowing what it will be. We prepare for tomorrow without knowing what it will bring. We go to sleep assuming we will wake. And yet, even the next moment is not known to us.

Annamacharya is not saying that we should stop planning or preparing. He is showing something much subtler. We do not know what lies ahead, yet we behave as though we do. That is the sting వెఱ్ఱి నేను of the Pallavi (= chorus).

Second Stanza:
తెల్లవారినప్పుడెల్లా తెలిసితిననేఁ గాని
కల్లయేదో నిజమేదో కాన నేను
వల్ల చూచి కామినుల వలపించేఁ గాని
మొల్లమై నామేను ముదిసిన దెరఁగ      ॥వెన॥

tellavārinappuḍellā telisitinanēṃ̐ gāni
kallayēdō nijamēdō kāna nēnu
valla cūci kāminula valapiṃcēṃ̐ gāni
mollamai nāmēnu mudisina deraṃ̐ga  vena 
Literal Sense:
Poem Line
Plain Meaning
Deeper Meaning
తెల్లవారినప్పుడెల్లా తెలిసితిననేఁ గాని
When day breaks, I know what I see around me.
I see what is manifest before me and know it in the ordinary way, just as everyone else does. There is nothing extraordinary about my knowing.
కల్లయేదో నిజమేదో కాన నేను
Yet I cannot tell what is false and what is true.
Though I am awake and see things clearly, I cannot determine which of what I see is true and which is false. Seeing something clearly does not mean that I know its truth.
వల్ల చూచి కామినుల వలపించేఁ గాని
Seeing women, I become attracted to them.
What is visible naturally draws me toward it. I respond to that, and thus become caught up in one desire after another. I do not ask what lies behind that attraction.
మొల్లమై నామేను ముదిసిన దెరఁగ
I do not know how my own body has grown old.

I am unaware of time passing. I keep moving from one desire to another, while remaining unaware of the changes taking place in my own body with age. I respond to what is before me, while remaining oblivious to what is happening to myself.
Deep Notes:

The Bhagavad Gita 2-69 says: what is daylight to ordinary beings is the night of ignorance to the wise; what is night to ordinary beings is daylight to those who turn inward. Therefore, what a person takes to be clear in the daylight of ordinary awareness need not be complete understanding.

That is why Annamacharya says: “తెల్లవారినప్పుడెల్లా తెలిసితిననేఁ గాని — కల్లయేదో నిజమేదో కాన నేను.” I think I am awake. What is before me is visible, and I know what I see. But, as the Gita points out in 2-69, from the state in which I stand, I cannot tell what is true and what is false in what I see.

Now the poet is not merely talking about the outside world. He shows the same thing within himself. “వల్ల చూచి కామినుల వలపించేఁ గాని / మొల్లమై నామేను ముదిసిన దెరఁగI see what is before me. It attracts me. My mind moves toward it. The attraction of women is one example. Absorbed in that attraction, I fail to notice what is happening within me. I do not even notice my own body growing old.

The observation in the first two lines now goes deeper: I am awake to what I see outside; I fail to see what is happening within me. That is నా-మనసు మరులు దేర” —being absorbed in what appears before me is the delusion. Then మందేదొకో” What is the remedy?

Knowing that I am in delusion is the first medicine. Once I see that, do I have to ask:“Did I not notice myself growing old?” The difficult part is not knowing the medicine. The difficult part is knowing the state I am in.

Bottom of Form

Top of Form

Bottom of Form

Top of Form

Bottom of Form


Third Stanza:
పాపాలు చేసి మఱచి బ్రదుకుచున్నాఁడఁ గాని
వైపుగఁ జిత్రగుప్తుడు వ్రాయు టెఱఁగ
యేపున శ్రీవేంకటేశు నెక్కడో వెతకేఁ గాని
నాపాలిదైవమని నన్నుఁ గాచు టెఱఁగ ॥వెన॥

pāpālu cēsi ma\raci bradukucunnāṃ̐ḍaṃ̐ gāni
vaipugaṃ̐ jitraguptuḍu vrāyu ṭe\raṃ̐ga
yēpuna śrīvēṃkaṭēśu nekkaḍō vetakēṃ̐ gāni
nāpālidaivamani nannuṃ̐ gācu ṭe\raṃ̐ga      vena 
Literal Sense:
Poem Line
Plain Meaning
Deeper Meaning
పాపాలు చేసి మఱచి బ్రదుకుచున్నాఁడఁ గాని
I commit sins, forget them, and continue to commit more.
I can forget what wrong I have done, but forgetting does not make it disappear. I continue with the same old wrong deeds.
వైపుగఁ జిత్రగుప్తుడు వ్రాయు టెఱఁగ
I know not how skilfully Chitragupta records them.
Chitragupta represents the recording of what I forget. I am unaware of what is being recorded—and, at some point, I must answer for it.
యేపున శ్రీవేంకటేశు నెక్కడో వెతకేఁ గాని
I search for Sri Venkatesha, wondering where He is.
Seeing the enormity of my sins and not knowing what to do, I search for Sri Venkatesha outside. I do not find Him, yet I continue my search.
నాపాలిదైవమని నన్నుఁ గాచు టెఱఁగ
I do not know that He is my protecting deity and is guarding me.
I fail to recognise what is already happening in my life because I do not know myself. The poet continues to say that he is ignorant. Yet the very fact that He is still there, protecting him, makes him indirectly recognise the Lord within himself.
Deep Notes:

This last stanza is even sharper. The poet does not say, “I have understood.” He finally arrives at the clear recognition: “I do not know.” 

పాపాలు చేసి మఱచి బ్రదుకుచున్నాఁడఁ గాని — the ordinary man's state. He commits sins, forgets them, and continues with the same old wrong deeds. వైపుగఁ జిత్రగుప్తుడు వ్రాయు టెఱఁగ — even though he forgets what he has done, he does not know that his actions are being recorded. His not knowing is itself his ignorance.

From here the poet moves to another level: యేపున శ్రీవేంకటేశు నెక్కడో వెతకేఁ గాని Having recognised his own condition, the yogi searches for the Avyakta. But the Avyakta is not an object that can be found somewhere outside. So, the search continues.

Then comes the final line: నాపాలిదైవమని నన్నుఁ గాచు టెఱఁగ Here a subtle change takes place. The poet does not say, “I have understood.”

He continues to say, “I do not know.” Yet he cannot fail to notice that he is still here, and that some power has been protecting him all along. Through this, he indirectly recognises the Divine.

So the real turning point of the stanza is: Knowing that “I do not know.” This is not ordinary acknowledgment. It is becoming aware of one's own ignorance. The poet's final knowledge does not take the form of “I know.” It takes the form of: “I know that I do not know.” That is the sharpness of this stanza.

Progression of the Poem:
Poem Line

Meaning

What it leads to

వెనకేదో ముందరేదో వెఱ్ఱి నేనునా-మనసు మరులు దేర మందేదొకో

I do not know what lies behind or ahead. Yet I live as though I know. I do not even know that I am caught in delusion.
Passion is taking me over.
చేరి మీఁదటిజన్మము సిరులకు నోమేఁ గానియే రూపై పుట్టుదునో యెఱఁగ నేనుకోరి నిద్రించఁ బరచుకొన నుద్యోగింతుఁ గానిసారె లేతునో లేవనో జాడ దెలియ నేను
I do not know what another birth will be like. I do not know what tomorrow will bring. I do not even know whether I will wake after sleep. Yet I keep preparing for the future as though I know it.
I try to establish a path for my life.
తెల్లవారినప్పుడెల్లా తెలిసితిననేఁ గానికల్లయేదో నిజమేదో కాన నేనువల్ల చూచి కామినుల వలపించేఁ గానిమొల్లమై నామేను ముదిసిన దెరఁగ
I am awake and know what I see around me. But I cannot tell what is true and what is false. What I see attracts me; I become absorbed in it. Meanwhile, I fail even to notice my own ageing.
I set out to seek the truth, but become lost in the attractions of life and grow old.
పాపాలు చేసి మఱచి బ్రదుకుచున్నాఁడఁ గానివైపుగఁ జిత్రగుప్తుడు వ్రాయు టెఱఁగ
I commit sins and forget them. I do not even know that they are being carefully recorded.
I keep committing sins.
యేపున శ్రీవేంకటేశు నెక్కడో వెతకేఁ గాని
Now the search begins. As my own condition becomes clearer, I begin to search for what I do not know. This is the yogi's search for the Avyakta. But the Avyakta cannot be seen as an object.
Then search begins. I seek the Avyakta, but it cannot be found by looking for something visible.
నాపాలిదైవమని నన్నుఁ గాచు టెఱఁగ
At first, I do not even know that I do not know. Now I know that I do not know.
I become aware of my own not-knowing.

This progression shows how Annamacharya quietly takes us away from delusion to self-awareness.

Delusion → Constructed understanding → Reliance on the future → Reliance on what is visible → Attraction → Losing oneself → Sin → Self-exemption → Search → The Avyakta → Knowing that “I do not know.”

X-X-The END-X-X

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

6R venakēdō muṃdarēdō verri nēnu (వెనకేదో ముందరేదో వెఱ్ఱి నేను)

  TALLAPAKA ANNAMACHARYULU 6R వెనకేదో ముందరేదో వెఱ్ఱి నేను (venak ē d ō mu ṃ dar ē d ō verri n ē nu) తెలుగులో చదవడానికి ఇక్కడ నొక్కండి . I...